[Suggestion] Per ability maximum range

Suggestions for the game, wishes for new abilities.
Murasaki

[Suggestion] Per ability maximum range

Post by Murasaki » Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:49 pm

Merry Christmas!

Also, it would nice if we could have a range modifier per ability, instead of the global constant. It would allow for a whole bunch of added depth and customization.

spellheart_com
Site Admin

Re: [Suggestion] Per ability maximum range

Post by spellheart_com » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:13 am

Hey,

Thank you for your feedback!

I have thought about this for a while actually, and I also want it, but I am still thinking on how to solve some logical problems with it.

First problem:
The cursor shows when it is not in range of a target or a world target by being darkened. If abilities would have different ranges, I am not sure how that would be shown correctly.

Second problem:
The range that is a global variable right now, is determined from the view of the camera. If an ability would have a longer range than the current global range, the ability can be used outside of the screen in many angles.
This means that the camera must be adjusted by the user in real time to be able to utilize those long range abilities correctly, which is not a good thing.
So if dynamic range on abilities are even implemented, the maximum range would be the current range of all target abilities.
This means that abilities can only lower their current range, not make that range longer.

What would you think would be a good solution for these issues?
Creator of the game.

Murasaki

Post by Murasaki » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:47 am

The cursor shows when it is not in range of a target or a world target by being darkened. If abilities would have different ranges, I am not sure how that would be shown correctly.
Ooph. I cant thin' of a way to indicate different spell ranged via the cursor, but it could be done via the ability icons. Here is a crude example done in MS Paint.

The range that is a global variable right now, is determined from the view of the camera. If an ability would have a longer range than the current global range, the ability can be used outside of the screen in many angles.
This means that the camera must be adjusted by the user in real time to be able to utilize those long range abilities correctly, which is not a good thing.
So if dynamic range on abilities are even implemented, the maximum range would be the current range of all target abilities.
This means that abilities can only lower their current range, not make that range longer.
Hmm, I didn't even think about increasing the range of a skill, I only thought about making some smaller.

Considering bolt skills/skill shots have an infinite travel distance, there isn't a reason for the "where you can click to cast" range to be longer than the screen. For balancing purposes, it wouldn't make sense for for targetable abilities, aoes, etc. to have a longer activation range than skill shots anyway.

I think it would be fine with the option to make skills have a shorter range.

spellheart_com
Site Admin

Post by spellheart_com » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:02 pm

Sounds good!

I was worried that the maximum range would be increased, but if they stay the same or are decreased, this is all possible.

However, as the icons are already darkened when the ability is on cooldown, I could instead make the key binding text to be another colour, say red, when the ability is out of range.

I'll implement it as soon as I can, it will be done within a couple of days. ;)
Creator of the game.

Murasaki

Post by Murasaki » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:16 pm

Amazing! Can't wait to test it out.

Thank you!

spellheart_com
Site Admin

Post by spellheart_com » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:09 pm

I'll write in this post when the feature is done.

By the way, you are by far the best game testers I have had so far, I would like to put your team on credits for the game in the "Game Tester" section.
You can list the names or ingame-aliases of your team in this post if you want them on the credits!
Creator of the game.

Murasaki

Post by Murasaki » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:04 pm

Wow, what an honor!

I'll talk to the group about it when I get home and PM you the names.

spellheart_com
Site Admin

Post by spellheart_com » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:56 pm

This has now been implemented in the new patch.
When the PM arrives, I'll put another update here when it is in the latest version.
Creator of the game.

spellheart_com
Site Admin

Post by spellheart_com » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:05 am

The credits have been updated with your names in a hotfix.
Creator of the game.

Danansmith

Post by Danansmith » Tue May 10, 2016 4:05 am

Kinda late....but thank you! Excellent post!
popular bubble football:Bubble soccer